June 6, 2019
by: Sheela Nimishakavi
Remember when strategic planning meant multiple, day long meetings and a thick packet of information?
Nonprofits have moved away from this method of strategic planning in recent years- thankfully!
That method was rife with flaws- the strategies were difficult to implement and too restrictive to remain agile in a changing nonprofit environment. I mean, how the heck are you supposed to know what you should be doing 5 years from now?!
It’s no wonder the nonprofit sector has decided it’s time. It’s out with the old and in with the new. So, what is the “new?”
In this episode I answer FAQ’s about strategic planning in general as well as describe three scaled down and more efficient methods for strategic planning.
Highlights from this episode:
- [1:35] FAQ 1: Are strategic plans and business plans the same thing?
- [2:32] FAQ 2: Does my organization have to have a strategic plan?
- [7:18] FAQ 3: Should our nonprofit post our strategic plan on our website?
- [8:10] FAQ 4: Who should be involved in the strategic planning process?
- [11:30] Description of the Alignment Model and which nonprofits would benefit from this framework
- [13:55] Description of the Organic Model and which nonprofits are a good fit
- [15:10] Description of the Issue-Based Model and benefits
- [16:35] These three scaled-down strategic planning models offer direction as opposed to step-by-step instruction, making way for flexibility
This episode is brought to you by ThirdSuite’s Book Club. TBC is a FREE virtual book club for nonprofit professionals. For more information and to join today, please click HERE.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW IN ITUNES
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If you’re not, I invite you to do that today. I’m adding a bunch of new, information-packed training episodes into the mix and I don’t want you to miss any of it! Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
And, if you’re feeling particularly chipper, I would be so grateful for a review on iTunes. Reviews help others find Nonprofit Confidential and help us get rockstars onto our show. Just click here, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” to let me know what your favorite part of this podcast is. Thank you so much!