June 13, 2019
by: Sheela Nimishakavi
“If you keep making that face, it’ll get stuck like that,” said every parent ever.
Or, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” I ate my apples and still got sick plenty of times.
There are so many little sayings from our parents or common clichés that are just plain untrue. But these aren’t limited to our home lives. There are plenty of these specious sayings that we hear within nonprofits as well.
In this episode, we debunk five myths that commonly circulate around nonprofits.
Highlights from this episode:
- [2:52] Myth 1: Nonprofit budgets should always net zero
- [5:58] Myth 2: In-kind donations are not as valuable as cash gifts
- [8:30] Myth 3: People give to people
- [11:02] Myth 4: People who are successful in the business world automatically know what’s best for nonprofits
- [12:18] Myth 5: Cybersecurity is only an issue big companies have to worry about
- [15:35] BONUS myth: Strategic plans can’t be changed during the span of time they cover
Nonprofit Technology Network study
Nonprofit Confidential Episode 15 on strategic planning
This episode is brought to you by ThirdSuite’s Book Club. TBC is a FREE virtual book club for nonprofit professionals. For more information and to join today, please click HERE.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW IN ITUNES
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If you’re not, I invite you to do that today. I’m adding a bunch of new, information-packed training episodes into the mix and I don’t want you to miss any of it! Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
And, if you’re feeling particularly chipper, I would be so grateful for a review on iTunes. Reviews help others find Nonprofit Confidential and help us get rockstars onto our show. Just click here, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” to let me know what your favorite part of this podcast is. Thank you so much!